Another wintry day here complete with snow and ice. I am designing a study, enjoying time by the fireplace, and thought the room above was wonderfully inspired, see details below.
To get a similar look, take stock of what you have currently. Below are some more recent finds, if you are interested in a particular item, there is an embedded link in each picture below to make it convenient for you to click on the item and get.
A pair of club chairs is an easy way to update a room. Depending on what you have you could start with a pair of beautiful armchairs like some of the suggestions below…
- French Club Chair from Niermann Weeks would work well in many styles from tradition to transition to modern.
- 19th century French Black Lacquer Chair from 1st dibs would be handsome in a dark study or just behind a desk…
- Gabrielle Dining Chair from Niermann Weeks is splendid in a more contemporary or transitional setting with the light colored wood legs.
- If you are looking for the truly dramatic. Victorian Horn Chair circa 1865 is truly a singular piece which would undoubtedly define a room, would work best in a room with other strong defining features.
Adding consoles to flank the fireplace are a great way to add depth to a room and interest to a wall plus are a great place to store decorative items. They draw you in from the first glance beyond what is placed in the center of the room to the periphery. They can be wood, metal, black, or white. You can use them to harmonized with the wall or provide contrast. Some great examples are below…
- French Empire Console.
- Ebonized French Empire Marble Top Console.
- French Empire white marble console table with bronze Napoleon heads and platform base.
- Or for a more contemporary look, the Lyford Bar.
And if you want to go all out and update your fireplace surround you can experiment with different colors. For example if you have a wood surround that you don’t care for, you could paint it black or white and see how it goes with your decor. Then if you want to upgrade to stone at some time, you have a better idea of the look you prefer. Below some options in black and white marble as well as onyx.
You can then add the fire screen, click to see earlier post on wonderful screens.
Install a sumptuous wallpaper, click to see earlier post on wallpaper .
Then add the supporting decor. You can never go wrong with a stone bust. There are so many great ones to choose from, and if you are looking for a less costly options there are good ones to choose from as well.
The Matisse paintings, well, you are on your own!
Feature image: “Walls in from France and ebonized wood floors showcase art in interiors by Luis Bustamante Henri Matisse paintings flank Antoni Tapies canvas. Antique marble fireplace surround. Rubelli cut velvet on black 19th century armchairs. French Empire consoles”. Image from Veranda.